Central Virginia Small Business Development Center
DIRECTOR POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Director of the Central Virginia Small Business Development Center (CV SBDC) is responsible for providing direction, leadership and technical support to clients of the CV SBDC.
Under the general direction of the President of the Community Investment Collaborative (CIC), the Center provides direction, development, and promotion of the CV SBDC. The Center operates under a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) administered through George Mason University. Efforts on behalf of the Center are performed in accordance with goals and objectives of the Virginia Small Business Development Center network.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Counseling, Training & Outreach
- Provides one-on-one counseling and consulting to small business owners.
- Analyzes and evaluates service needs for clients; Provides in-depth technical assistance in business planning, management, financial analysis, marketing and related areas of business operations.
- Designs and delivers small business group training programs.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with localities and business groups throughout service region.
Administration of SBDC Program
- Directs, manages and supervises the operations of the CV SBDC program and supervises, trains and evaluates CV SBDC consultants and staff.
- Develops, implements and evaluates marketing plan for the CV SBDC program including strategies for program promotion.
- Develops and fosters funding sources for the CV SBDC to provide resources to “match” SBA funding, plus secure event/program sponsors, as needed
- Ensures compliance with federal guidelines related to the SBDC program and with Virginia SBDC policies and procedures.
- Measures and evaluates the impact of SBDC programs and activities
- Manages center budget expenditures, provides financial oversight for center; and maintains records for Center operation. (CIC maintains books and records in accordane with contractual requirements.)
- Coordinates the CV SBDC Advisory Council.
- Prepares reports for funders, writes proposals for funding program plans and prepares other official documents for the operation and continuation of the program.
Position Description (Cont’d)
Director, CV SBDC
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with diverse business communities, including minority-, women- and veteran-owned businesses.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred in business or related field
- 5-10 years’ experience in business management and consulting or small business ownership
- Demonstrated ability to advise business owners in critical business management areas including: access to capital, financial management, marketing, business and strategic planning, and business operations
- Experience raising funds to support operations
- Experience managing grants, contracts and organizational budgets
- Experience supervising professional and administrative staff
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills including ability to prioritize multiple tasks and willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done
- Action-oriented professional who thrives in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and is able to work with diverse industries and clientele
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills; effective communicator in a variety of presentation settings, including one-on-one and small and large groups
- Overall computer competency; proficiency in Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint, other computer applications and database software programs
- Work ethic, integrity, and creativity
Email Cover Letter and Resume by Monday, March 2, 2020 to:
Subject: CV SBDC – Director
Community Investment Collaborative
P.O. Box 2976
Charlottesville, VA 22902