Join us for great food, awesome vendors, and lively music as we look back on the success of our community over the last 10 years and dream about what’s in store for the next 10.
Want to support us?? Grab your ticket, invite a friend, make a donation, follow us on social, or cruise around our website to learn more about our programs and services.
CIC Graduates and Borrowers: Check your email for the promo code to claim your tickets!
Want to show your support for the event in a bigger way?! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for CIC10 sponsorship information.
How it Started
CIC stemmed from economic justice conversations hosted by the Dialogue on Race, prompting further exploration of micro-business development in our local community. Our first 16-week workshop launched in 2012, but the idea was developed in 2011. Forty-eight individuals from across the community determined that creating a micro-lending organization alone would not be sufficient to assist entrepreneurial pursuits.
To be successful, we would need to:
- Develop partnerships with local agencies and banks to identify the entrepreneurs.
- Provide in-depth business training to prepare new business owners for the necessary details of budgeting, sales, marketing, human resource planning, etc
- Enhance the existing mentoring network for connecting new entrepreneurs with business leaders and resources.
- Fill the “hole” in financial instruments – offer loans up to $35,000 at reasonable interest rates with appropriately scaled timelines and collateral requirements.
- Help build business credit and work to build clients’ assets so they can access traditional sources of financing
How it’s Going
We’ve stayed focused on these core needs for 10 years and with the help of so many in the region and beyond, we’re proud to be celebrating our accomplishments that include:
- Our 500th entrepreneur will complete our 16-week workshop in November
- Continue to serve over 220 clients per year through our mentoring, financing, and networking programming
- Increased loan max to $50,000; Financed $2.4 million in loans to 180 businesses
- Opened 131 new businesses and created 288 new full time equivalent jobs
- Host the top performing Small Business Development Center (SBDC) in Virginia that served 800 counseling or training clients in 2021, helping them access over $25 million in capital to grow their businesses
While we’ve grown in many ways over the years, our core focus remains the same: assisting under-resourced entrepreneurs in growing their businesses. Join us on November 5th to hear about how we plan to continue that growth in the decade to come!
Date: Saturday, November 5, 2022
Time: 5PM – 8PM
Location: Ix Art Park 522 2nd St SE, Charlottesville, VA 22902